Learning how to clean the Apple Watch is essential for owners of the smartwatch.
Whether you want to clean your Apple Watch band because it caught sweat on a run, or because the device itself is beginning to irritate your skin, doing so is straightforward if you know exactly what to steps to follow and what to avoid.
More help: Apple Watch tips and tricks
This guide will provide instructions to help with it all - continue to the sections below to understand how to clean the Apple Watch and tips for avoiding a rash.
How to clean an Apple Watch band
Your first instinct might be to wash your Apple Watch band - particularly if it's the Sport band - with water and a bit of soap. However, anything like this, as well as abrasive scrubs, can actually make the problem worse. Instead, follow these steps for cleaning your Apple Watch band.
Handy guide: How to remove Apple Watch band
And note, though these are our tried and tested steps for cleaning official Apple bands, they're also likely to work on third-party bands made of similar materials.
Cleaning Apple Watch bands (non-leather)
1. Remove the Apple Watch band.
2. Wipe the band with a slightly damp non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
3. Wipe the band with a dry version of the same cloth.
4. Once it's entirely dry, attach the band back to the Apple Watch.
Cleaning leather Apple Watch bands
1. Remove the leather Apple Watch band.
2. Wipe the leather with a slightly damp non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. Only dampen the cloth if necessary, and do not soak the band in the water.
3. Air the leather band thoroughly before attaching back to the Apple Watch. And don't store the band in sunlight or leave it in high temperatures or humid conditions.
4. Once it's completely dry, attach the band back to your Apple Watch.
How to clean an Apple Watch
Keeping the Apple Watch clean follows similar steps to looking after bands - making sure it's dry is essential, and soaps or abrasive wipes should be avoided.
1. Turn the Apple Watch off, remove it from the charger and remove any bands attached to the device.
2. Wipe the front and back of the watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. If needed, you can run the tap slightly warm and hold the device under the water for around 10 seconds as you wipe.
3. Once cleaned, wipe down the entire Apple Watch with a dry version of the same non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
4. Once dry, attach the bands and you're ready to go.
Apple Watch rash? Follow these tips
- The best tip we can offer to save you from irritation is to keep the Apple Watch band and your skin dry. After exposure to sweat, suncream, soap or any other substance, follow the steps above to clean your band.
- Ensuring your Apple Watch is worn correctly is also essential. Give your skin enough room to breathe, and never wear the band too tight or too loose.
- Some users will be more sensitive than others to substances. In order to check exactly what is in both the Apple Watch and official bands, go to the official Apple guide.
More Apple Watch guides
How to make calls on Apple Watch
How to use Spotify on Apple Watch
How to use Alexa on Apple Watch
How to set an alarm on Apple Watch
How to use Siri on Apple Watch
How to unlock Mac with Apple Watch
How to take an ECG reading on Apple Watch
How we test