If you're a Spotify subscriber and own an Apple Watch, you can get a surprising amount of control straight from the wrist. And there's good news, because have recently got much better.
Finally (finally!), you can download Spotify playlists, podcasts, albums and songs to your Apple Watch and listen to them offline.
Apple Watch owners can now do more than just pause and skip tracks: custom playlists and Spotify Connect are both at your disposal and also control playback independently from your iPhone via Wi-Fi or LTE.
If you're getting to grips with what Spotify can do on the Apple Watch, we take you through the key features including how to download and store Spotify sounds for offline use.
Apple Watch on Spotify: Supported features
Control music playing on speakers and more
Like the old Spotify functionality, you can pause, skip forward and back the music playing from the Apple Watch itself. This applies whether you're listening on your phone, on wireless speakers or even using the Spotify app on games consoles. That's done via Spotify Connect.
To use Spotify Connect to control music from your Apple Watch across devices:
1. Make sure you have the latest version of the Spotify app downloaded on your phone, laptop or tablet.
2. From the Spotify app you'll be able to add compatible Spotify Connect devices.
3. Make sure both devices are on the same Wi-Fi connection to make sure you can enable that control from your Apple Watch.
Download Spotify playlists to Apple Watch
It's a feature Spotify users have been asking for and Spotify has finally delivered it. You can now download content from Spotify to store on your Apple Watch, letting you listen to it on the move without needing to be connected to your phone or having to use LTE either.
Before we show you how to do it, make sure you own an Apple Watch Series 3 or later that's running on watchOS 6 or later and that you have an LTE or Wi-Fi connection along with a Spotify Premium subscription.
How to download Spotify music to Apple Watch:
1. First of all, make sure you're running the latest version of the Spotify app on your phone or tablet, which will in turn make sure the Watch app is up to date as well during the process.
2. In the Spotify app find a playlist or album you want to download, hit the menu button and choose Download to Apple Watch.
3. In the Spotify Apple Watch app, swipe right to find the Downloads folder.
4. When you find what you want to download, press the three dots on screen (...) and you'll be given the option to download to Apple Watch.
5. You'll be able to identify downloaded playlists as there will be a green arrow to indicate they are now on your Apple Watch.
Browse playlists and tracks
It may surprise you but the Spotify Apple Watch app offers pretty extensive control over selecting and playback of music, straight from the wrist.
A swipe to the left shows your Library and recent playlists that you've interacted with using your Spotify account. From here, you can scroll with your finger or the digital crown and change the playlist.
You can also hit Library and swap between playlists, podcasts, artists and albums and browse options within, playing any track you feel like. You won't get all the options in your library, but you'll get an extensive list of the most recently played 20 or so.
And if you swipe to the right, you'll get a list of tracks within the currently selected playlist so you can select the exact song you want to listen to. There's no limit there.
Add songs to your Spotify library
You can add music to your library straight from the Apple Watch screen. The prominently placed heart can be tapped, and the track will be added to your music library. To retrieve it, just go to the Songs list in your Spotify library.
Untethered music streaming
Spotify enables users to stream music without your iPhone. This essentially offers the same functionality as above, but letting listen to music when out for a run without your iPhone.
Users will be prompted to decide if they want to stream selected music on the Apple Watch. You'll need to have a cellular or Wi-Fi connection to make it work.
Ask Siri to play something
Spotify now gives you hands free control via Apple's smart assistant to let you ask Siri to take control when you can't get your digits on that Watch screen to do it.
To get Siri to play something from your Apple Watch say, 'Hey, Siri' and then you can ask it to do the following:
- Play your favourite songs, playlists, podcasts, artists and albums
- Adjust volume, play/pause and skip tracks
- Play my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify
- "like' music that's currently playing on Spotify
To download Apple Watch Spotify app
1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
2. In the 'My Watch' tab and under the heading 'Installed on Apple Watch', check if Spotify is already downloaded. If it isn't installed already on your Apple Watch, scroll down to the 'Available Apps' section and hit 'Install' on Spotify.
3. On your Apple Watch, open the app grid and find Spotify. The app will also open automatically when you start playing music from your iPhone.