Getting set up with your Fitbit is naturally the first thing you'll have to think about when you get your new fitness tracker or smartwatch out of the box.
But whether you've got a Charge, Versa, Ionic or Alta HR, the process is roughly the same. You're going to need a compatible iPhone, Android smartphone or a computer ‚Äď which you can double check here ‚Äď and an account through the Fitbit app. The rest is fairly straightforward, but we'll be here to guide you on all the steps.
Read on below for how to set up a Fitbit, how to replace or add a second device and even how to get set up with Fitbit through your Mac or Windows PC.
How to set up Fitbit
From there, you're going to need to go through the usual sign-up rigamarole and then you'll be prompted to let Fitbit know which device you want to set up. This will allow you to sync your Fitbit to the connected device. Follow these steps for a bit of help:
- Download the Fitbit app, and tap 'Join Fitbit' once complete.
- Select the tracker that you have and tap 'Set Up'.
- Follow the steps and keep the Fitbit close to your device close by.
- It should be as simple as that, with the Fitbit app using your details to help personalise the experience for you. Things like Clock Faces, apps, notifications can all be adjusted once the Fitbit is set up.
Note: For the Ionic and Versa, setup won't be fully complete until you connect your Fitbit to Wi-Fi. This allows for quicker updates, music support and app downloads.
How to set up Fitbit on computer
For those who don't have a compatible phone or tablet, you're going to need to set up and sync your Fitbit device through Fitbit Connect. This is a free software application that allows your device to work without the need for a phone.
However, note that if you're computer isn't Bluetooth-enabled, you're going to have to use the syncing dongle, available from the Fitbit Store. In order to get set up on Fitbit Connect, follow these instructions:
- Head to the Fitbit Setup page, then scroll down to the 'Don't have a mobile device?' section.
- Download the application for your Mac or Windows computer.
- After the download completes, hit the downloaded file to start the installation.
- Once installation is complete, choose 'Set up a New Fitbit Device'.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Fitbit account and connect your device.
How to add a second Fitbit device or replacement device
Once you've got one Fitbit device, it's likely you won't be able to stop. Like a ravenous fitness tracking monster, you won't be happy until you're kitted out with the whole Fitbit ecosystem. But before you go berserk, you need to know how to add a second Fitbit, or maybe even replace your old device.
Another thing that's crucial to know is that you can't have more than one device type connected and syncing to the same Fitbit account at any one time. So, if you have a Fitbit Charge 3 and Ionic, for example, you can't run them concurrently. However, if you have a Fitbit Charge 3 and the Fitbit Aria 2, that's all fine.
To add or replace a device through the Fitbit app for mobile:
- Head to the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
- Tap through to the Account icon in the top left corner.
- Hit 'Set Up a Device'.
- Choose your new device and follow the setup instructions.
To add or replace a device through Fitbit Connect:
- Click the Fitbit Connect icon on your Mac or Windows computer.
- Open the Main Menu.
- Click 'Set up a new Fitbit device'.
- Choose 'Existing User' and log in to your Fitbit account.
- Select your device and follow the setup instructions.