Fitbit setup is something you're going to have to think about as soon as you lift your new fitness tracker or smartwatch out the box - but that doesn't mean it's all straightforward.
However, whether you have a Fitbit Versa or a Fitbit Charge 3, or another from the company's stable, the good news here is that process is the same.
Read on below for step-by-step instructions on how to set up your Fitbit, how to replace or add a second device and even how to get set up with Fitbit through your Mac or Windows PC.
How to set up a Fitbit
First, you're going to need a compatible iPhone, Android smartphone or a computer ‚Äď which you can double check here. Then, head to the Google Play Store, Apple App Store or Microsoft Store (for Windows phones or tablets) and search for the Fitbit app, before downloading it to your device.
Once that's sorted, you're going to need to go sign-up, and then you'll be prompted to let Fitbit know which device you want to set up. This will allow you to sync your Fitbit to the connected device.
1. Download the Fitbit app, and tap 'Join Fitbit' once complete.
2. Select the tracker that you have and tap 'Set Up'.
3. Follow the steps and keep the Fitbit close to your device close by.
Note: For the Ionic and Versa, setup won't be fully complete until you connect your Fitbit to Wi-Fi. This allows for quicker updates, music support and app downloads.
Set up Fitbit on a computer
If you don't have a phone or tablet, you're going to need to set up your device through Fitbit Connect, a free software app that allows the tracker to work without the need for a phone.
However, note: if you're computer isn't Bluetooth-enabled, you're going to have to use the syncing dongle, which you'll need to buy from the Fitbit Store.
In order to get set up on Fitbit Connect, follow these instructions:
1. Head to the Fitbit Setup page, then scroll down to the Don't have a mobile device? section.
2. Download the application for your Mac or Windows computer.
3. After the download completes, click the downloaded file to start the installation.
4. Once installation is complete, choose Set up a New Fitbit Device.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Fitbit account and connect your device.
How to add a second Fitbit device or replacement device
Once you've got one Fitbit device, it's likely you won't be able to stop. Like a ravenous fitness tracking monster, you won't be happy until you're kitted out with the whole Fitbit ecosystem. But, before you go berserk, you need to know how to add a second Fitbit, or maybe even replace your old device.
Unfortunately, you can't have more than one device type connected and syncing to the same Fitbit account at any one time. So, if you have a Fitbit Charge 3 and Ionic, for example, you can't run them concurrently. The only exceptions to this rule is the company's Aria smart scales and Ace kids fitness trackers.
To add or replace a device through the Fitbit app for mobile:
1. Head to the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
2. Tap through to the Account icon in the top left corner.
3. Hit 'Set Up a Device'.
4. Choose your new device and follow the setup instructions.
To add or replace a device through Fitbit Connect:
1. Click the Fitbit Connect icon on your Mac or Windows computer.
2. Open the Main Menu.
3. Click 'Set up a new Fitbit device'.
4. Choose 'Existing User' and log in to your Fitbit account.
5. Select your device and follow the setup instructions.
More Fitbit guides
- Change time on FitbitA guide on bringing your tracker into the correct time zone and more
- Increase Fitbit accuracyMake your tracker truly personal with these handy tricks
- Change bands on FitbitWhether you have a Versa, Charge, Inspire or Ionic, we're here to help
- Clean your FitbitWhether you have an old Charge 2 or a box-fresh Versa Lite, we can help
- Reset your FitbitLearn the steps needed to reboot or factory reset your tracker
- Charge your FitbitLearn the ways of replenishing your Fitbit smartwatch or fitness tracker