With a lack of cellular connectivity, even the top Garmin watches don't have many safety features on offer - but LiveTrack is a must-use for those who regularly log outdoor activities.
Providing you don't mind taking your phone along with you for a ride or run, LiveTrack will share your current location with your chosen recipients.
It means you can focus on your activity even when exercising in unknown areas, and below we'll explain exactly what is shared, how to set the feature up and how you know when it's working.
What does Garmin LiveTrack share?
Before we get into the details of how to actually set up LiveTrack, you'll want to know exactly what it shares.
It's also important to know that you can't edit the bits of information that are shared, everything below is available to the recipient you share with.
- Current location
- Average pace
- Elapsed activity time
- Elevation gain
- Current elevation
- A potential route being followed
- Current pace
- Heart rate
How to set up Garmin LiveTrack
1. Open the Garmin Connect app and jump to the 'More' tab in the bottom-right corner.
2. Select 'Safety & Tracking', followed by 'LiveTrack'.
3. Ignore the list of your supported devices (for now) and instead press the triple-dot menu in the top-right corner, and then 'Settings' from the drop-down menu.
4. From here, configure the LiveTrack Settings to add recipients, use GroupTrack, enable Strava Beacon or extend the session visibility by 24 hours after it ends.
5. Exit the LiveTrack settings.
Top tip: You can share a link to your location via text (not just email) from the LiveTrack Supported Devices screen once a session has begun.
How to ensure LiveTrack is enabled
LiveTrack can either work manually or start automatically.
The 'Auto Start' option is available from the 'Supported Devices' screen within Garmin Connect's LiveTrack settings, as shown above.
Alternatively, you can head to this screen every time you wish to use LiveTrack and hit 'Start LiveTrack'.
When you begin an exercise on the watch, you should receive a notification at the top of the screen that says 'LiveTrack Started'.
How we test