Omate X takes on Android Wear smartwatch brigade

iOS and Android compatible smartwatch goes on sale next month for $129
Wareable is reader-powered. If you click through using links on the site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Omate, the New York based company who last year launched the standalone TrueSmart smartwatch, is back for a second bite of the wearable tech cherry with the Omate X, a companion smartphone smartwatch.

Whereas the TrueSmart offered users cellular functionality such as calls and texting, without the need for a smartphone, the Omate X treads the now familiar smartwatch path by teaming up with a smartphone for added functionality.

Bookmark Wareable: Full wearable tech coverage

Compatible with both iOS and Android, Omate was quick to dig at a certain search giant before brashly announcing the arrival of its new device on Facebook.

"We created a fully wearable version of Android a year before Google launched its own ecosystem," reads an update on the social network. "The TrueSmart was designed for the 10% of our time during of which we partake in outdoor activities. Now, I am pleased to announce our new model - the Omate X - which will take care of the other 90%."

Packing in the usual array of incoming call alerts, social media updates, message notifications, reminders and the like, the Omate X packs a 400mAh battery that its makers claim will last for a week. That's the same battery size as the LG G Watch with around three times the lifespan - if Omate's claims ring true.

And, what's more, it'll cost less than its Android Wear rivals at just $129.

Omate X takes on Android Wear smartwatch brigade

Packing in Bluetooth 4.0, a 3-axis accelerometer and gyroscope, and a 1.54-inch 240 x 240 curved TFT display, the Omate X also boast a microphone and speaker combo - so we're guessing the call functions from its older brother are still on board.

The design looks pretty swish; with an aluminium housing and a replaceable 22mm leather strap, and the list of software also sounds pretty intriguing with a sports tracker built in with walking, biking and running skills.

The Omate X will be available to order in September, costing $129. The first 1,000 devices sold will be limited edition launch issues.

TAGGED Smartwatches

How we test

Paul Lamkin


Wareable Media Group co-CEO Paul launched Wareable with James Stables in 2014, after working for a variety of the UK's biggest and best consumer tech publications including Pocket-lint, Forbes, Electric Pig, Tech Digest, What Laptop, T3 and has been a judge for the TechRadar Awards. 

Prior to founding Wareable, and subsequently The Ambient, he was the senior editor of MSN Tech and has written for a range of publications.

Related stories