If you're using your Fitbit to make a healthy change in your life, then having good, achievable goals is crucial.
Out-of-the-box Fitbit will suggest some generic goals, with 10,000 steps per day being the most well-known. But if your Fitbit goals are too hard (or too easy) it can be demotivating, and could lead to your new fitness tracker ending up in a drawer in a few months time.
Whether you have a Fitbit Charge fitness tracker, or Versa smartwatch, changing the default goals to something more personal can be a huge factor in helping you make a difference.
Don't take our word for it: in our how to use your fitness tracker to actually get fit guide, our experts say to "first achieve the small goals, build their confidence to aim higher and then encourage them to set more ambitious targets."
So start small, find your level, and it only takes a few minutes to set them to something challenging. Here's how:
Which Fitbit goals can you change?
You can tweak pretty much every goal on the Fitbit platform including targets for:
- Active Zone Minutes
- Sleep duration and target wake/sleep times
- Floors climbed
- Weekly Active Zone Minutes
- Exercise days
- Water intake
- Body fat %
How to change your goals on Fitbit app
As with most things within the Fitbit world, the mobile or computer app are the only places where you can edit things. That means you can't change your goals directly from the smartwatch or tracker, and you'll also need to force a sync for the changes to come into effect.
To change your goals on the Fitbit app, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Fitbit app.
2. Tap the Account tab in the top right corner.
3. Scroll down to Activity and Wellness
4. Choose from Daily Activity, Exercise, Heart Settings, Nutrition & Weight and Sleep.
5. From here, you're able to edit all your Fitbit goals. Changing your step goal, for example, is done through the Activity tab.
How to change your goals on Fitbit Dashboard
To change your Fitbit goals on a computer, follow these steps:
1. Log in to the Fitbit Dashboard on your browser.
2. Click the Settings icon in the top right corner of the page.
3. Click Devices.
4. Under Daily Goal Progress, choose the goal you want to edit.
5. Sync your device to transfer the new goal to your tracker.
To change your Main Goal - the one that will be celebrated with a haptic vibration and a colorful on-watch animation if you reach it - follow these steps:
1. Go to the Fitbit app.
2. Tap the device icon in the top left corner.
3. Scroll down to Main Goal.
4. Choose from Steps, Distance, Calories Burned, Active Minutes or Floors Climbed.
5. Sync your device.
How we test