In order to use a Wear OS 3 smartwatch, you're going to need to first learn how to pair it with an Android or iPhone handset.
And while you'll need to ensure your device is actually compatible with your phone - which we've covered in our list of Wear OS watches that work with iPhone and Android - the steps are actually very straightforward.
So, whether you're setting up a new Wear OS 3 watch for the first time, or you're pairing your device with a new phone, follow the steps below.
How to set up your Wear OS 3 watch
When you turn your device on right out of the box, you'll be given instructions to follow in order to set up your watch.
These will vary slightly depending on the proprietary app your manufacturer allows you to set up with, given that, unlike Wear OS 2 watches, Wear OS 3 models aren't compatible with the Wear OS smartphone app, but you can still use the steps below as a general guide.
1. Turn on your Wear OS watch.
2. Select your chosen language and accept the terms of service on your device, then download the companion app as described on your device.
3. On your phone, follow the on-screen instructions and allow Bluetooth pairing to begin.
4. Your smartwatch should appear in the list of Bluetooth devices within the app - tap to continue.
5. A four-digit code will appear on your watch face and phone - if they match, continue. If these codes aren't the same, you'll need to restart your watch and try again.
6. You're all set. Continue following the on-screen steps to complete the initial setup.
Setting up a Wear OS 3 watch with a new phone
While the steps for initial setup are relatively straightforward, things are less obvious when your Wear OS 3 watch is already set up with an old phone and you're looking to pair it with a new one.
Remember, your Wear OS 3 device can only pair with one watch at a time, so you'll need to disconnect and reset it in order to pair with a new phone.
Follow these steps to do so:
1. From your watch, head to 'Settings' and then 'System'
2. Next, tap 'Disconnect and reset' (or 'Unpair with phone') and follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Confirm this step and then, on your new phone, download your watch's companion app.
4. With your watch now reset, follow the on-screen instructions (or the steps above) and pair it with your new phone.
How we test