With the AirPods being suitable for running, commuting and everything in between, it's likely you spend most of your waking hours with them in your ears. However, with great use comes great responsibility... to keep everything hygienic.
Essential reading: Everything to know about Apple AirPods 2
So, just how do you clean Apple AirPods without damaging them? It can be tough to know how to do properly, but it's all pretty straightforward stuff. Follow on below, as we guide yo through do's and don'ts of getting your AirPods clean.
How to clean Apple AirPods
The most important thing to be aware of when looking to clean your AirPods is that they're not waterproof - or even water resistant. That means you need to keep any moisture away from the openings, whether you're rocking the original 'Pods or the newer generation.
More help: How to connect AirPods to MacBook
If they do come into contact with moisture, such as sweat, you'll need to dry them off with a cloth. However, here's some more steps to follow:
- Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth around the frame of the AirPod bud.
- Again, make sure no liquid is in the openings.
- Clean the microphone and speaker meshes using a cotton swab, and take are of any grime stuck in the mesh grill with a dry, soft-bristled brush.
- Naturally, you'll have to avoid using any sharp or abrasive objects on any part of the AirPods.
How to clean the Apple AirPods case
Cleaning the case, whether it's the standard charging case or the newer generation that charges wirelessly, is much the same as cleaning the buds themselves. However, Apple does recommend using a slightly damp cloth with some rubbing alcohol, if necessary, to clean the outside of the case. Obviously, though, just don't get it into the charging ports, where the AirPods rest. Here are some more tips:
- If there's any grime or ear debris in the Lightning connector, use a clean, soft-bristled brush to remove.
- Again, avoid using abrasive materials to clean the charging case.
- In order to avoid damaging the metal contacts, don't put anything in the charging ports.