Learning how to turn off a Fitbit may not be as necessary as it once was, thanks to improvements in battery life, but it's still an important trick to have up your sleeve.
Whether it's to get a break from your screen or simply to iron out a software hiccup, switching off your Fitbit and turning it back on is relatively simple to do, but the steps do vary depending on whether you have a Fitbit Charge 3, Versa, Inspire, Ionic, Ace or Alta.
Why? Well, some Fitbit devices don't actually let you turn off. So, below, we'll let you know which do and don't ‚Äď and teach you the best available method for each.
Turn off Fitbit Charge 2 or Charge 3
Unfortunately, you can't actually turn off the Fitbit Charge 2 or Charge 3 as you might expect, with Fitbit instead only putting in place a way to restart your tracker. This means that the only way your Charge will turn off and stay off is if it runs out of battery, with the method below only temporarily shutting it down.
- If you have a Fitbit Charge 3, swipe to the Settings to the Clock Face and hit the Reboot Device tab. Note, this option isn't available on the Fitbit Charge 2.
- If your tracker is unresponsive, hold the button to restart your tracker:
- For Charge 2: press and hold the button on your tracker for four seconds. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, the tracker has restarted.
- For Charge 3: press and hold the button on your tracker for eight seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker has restarted.
Turn off Fitbit Inspire or Inspire HR
- Connect your Inspire HR or Inspire to its power cable.
- Press and hold the button for five seconds. Keep holding until you see a smiley face and the tracker vibrates.
Turn off Fitbit Versa or Ionic
Unlike Fitbit's trackers, the Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Versa and even Versa Lite Edition can be turned off until you decide to turn them back on ‚Äď not just to simply restart. To do so, follow the below steps.
- On the watch, open the Settings app.
- From there, tap About > Shutdown > Confirm Shutdown
- To turn it back on, hold one of the buttons until the Fitbit logo appears.
Turn off Fitbit Alta or Alta HR
Like Fitbit's other fitness trackers, you can't actually turn off the Fitbit Alta or Alta HR, and will instead have to put up with just restarting your device.
- Put your Alta device on charge.
- Press the button on the charging cable three times, pausing between each press.
- Once the Fitbit logo appears and the tracker restarts, the tracker will have rebooted.
Turn off Fitbit Ace
As with the Inspire, Alta and Charge series, the Ace can't be switched off. Instead, you'll have to restart the Ace to temporarily shut it down. Of course, you can also run down the battery to get it to turn off for good.
- Connect your Ace to its charger.
- Press the button on the charging cable three times, pausing briefly in between each press.
- Once the Fitbit logo appears, it has rebooted. Unplug the charger.
More Fitbit tutorials
- Change goals on FitbitTemper your tracker's expectations with this quick guide
- How to set up FitbitLearn to connect to iPhone, Android or computer
- How to reset a FitbitLearn the steps needed to reboot or factory reset your tracker
- How to change Fitbit bandsWhether you have a Versa, Charge, Inspire or Ionic, we're here to help