The week in wearable tech

A look back at the top stories of the last seven days
The week in wearable tech

With CES now done and dusted, there's been more room for the wearable news to breathe, and there's been plenty to digest this week.

From AR to heart rate tracking Hollywood blockbusters, here's the biggest headline-grabbing stories from the week in wearables.

Apple hires a virtual reality expert

This week we learnt that Apple looks likely to jump aboard the VR bandwagon by hiring a leading virtual reality expert from Virginia Tech.

Doug Bowman has done research on designing user interfaces for fully immersive VR experiences and recently won a $100,000 grant from Microsoft to work on a mixed reality data study focused on HoloLens.

2016 is definitely the year of VR with the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive the first headsets to launch this year.

HoloLens Share Your Ideas finalists announced

From VR we move to AR with the news that Microsoft has revealed the three most futuristic AR app ideas submitted for its Share Your Ideas contest.

The winner will be able to sit in on weekly development meetings at the Redmond company to get a feel of how Microsoft is building its own HoloLens-centric software.

On the topic of Microsoft's holographic headset, there's were some new HoloLens details revealed this week including how you'll be able to combine multiple headsets

Wearable tech UK sales boom in 2015

Yes, Brits are loving fitness trackers and smartwatches with an 118% increase on wearable sales in 2014.

An estimated 3 million devices were sold last year with fitness trackers making up 91% of those sales and smartwatches the other 9%.

The data from market research company also revealed that 60% of consumers are still concerned by the security of wearable data and while more than half still don't know what the point of them is.

If you want to help boost those sales figures, the Apple Watch Herm├Ęs Collection is now available to buy online and you can always check out our pick of the best wearable tech deals of the week.

Thorpe Park is getting a VR Ghost Train ride

Last week, Alton Towers unveiled its Galactica VR ride and now Thorpe Park has followed suit revealing it's first VR attraction, Derren Brown's Ghost Train.

The 10-15 minute journey on a 20 metre Victorian train uses HTC Vive headsets to create 12 different mind-bending journeys with two possible endings.

The VR ride will be opening in Spring this year.

In other VR-related news, we take a look at what filmmakers and storytellers have to say about VR, plus we see what it takes to make a great Gear VR game.

Crowdfund this

This week it's all about fitness with FitPal, a smart band-aid that can monitor sleep, stress, heart rate irregularities exercise readiness all from your heart rate.

While it does sound very similar to the now cancelled AmpStrip, FitPal is hoping to have more luck its fitness patch and is already more than halfway towards its funding goal on Kickstarter.

What do you think?

Connect with Facebook, Twitter, or just enter your email to sign in and comment.