So you’ve just picked up a smashing new Android Wear smartwatch, maybe a Samsung Gear or a Moto 360. What’s that? Everyone is now talking about a new shiny Apple Watch? We feel bad for you son, we’ve got 99 problems, but the Apple Watch ain’t one.
Essential reading: Android Wear hidden tips and tricks
That’s because a new Android Wear watchface has just been unleashed that mimics much of design of Apple’s upcoming wearable.
If you’ve found yourself hankering for a taste of the the Jony Ive inspired interface, that displays your apps as a series of circular icons, then you’re in luck, as
Seeing as Android Wear doesn’t natively support downloadable watchfaces (it’s coming in an update later this year) you’ll have to jump through a few hoops to install a new one on your watch, but it’s pretty straightforward.
Let us show you how:
How to install Pear onto your Android Wear
- Right, to kick things off you’ll have to download a zip file directly to your smartphone through the browser. Listen up though, because there are a few options to choose from depending on your watch of choice. It’s called PEAR (get it? Pear = Apple? Original we know).
- If you’re rocking a Moto 360, or are planning on picking one up when the circular smartwatch hits the UK in October, you’ll need the PEAR Round. If square is more your thing and you’ve got an LG G Watch or Samsung Gear Live, download PEAR Square. There are also versions that have display dimming and a battery saving Ambient Mode, again for round and square, so choose accordingly.
- Next, hop to the Play Store and download Android Wear Faces Creator. Don’t worry, it’s free. You’ll also need to download a file explorer, our pick would be ES File Explorer.
- Once Android Wear Faces Creator is downloaded it will become automatically available on your Android Wear watch, but for now just open it up on your phone.
- Tap the ‘Import’ button in the app and select, from the ES File explorer section, the zip files you just downloaded, it’ll automatically add itself into the app.
- Once the face is loaded you need to beam it to the watch, so tap the ‘Send to Wear’ button and wait a second until the process is complete.
- And that’s about it, all you need to do now is select Android Wear Faces Creator from the normal watchface picker and prepare to brag to everyone you’ve got the Apple Watch six months early.
If you’re not a fan of Apple’s design choices, but still want a few more customisation options option for your tech filled timepiece, Android Wear Creator has tonnes of other faces available, just have a quick search around. Until Android Wear allows custom faces, this is the best you can get.